forja brasao

bandeira inglesa



THE MYTH OF ORIGINS

The popular theory says that in the fourth century, the area that is now Ferreira do Alentejo was a lush and thriving Roman city called Singa.

This city was, however, attacked, around 405 a.c. by barbarians, the Suevi and the Goths, who had been thwarted for the courage of a brave woman. This woman, the wife of a blacksmith, defended the castle gate with two mallets.

This myth which even today brings us some questions and still could not be confirmed scientifically, gave the image of the Coat of arms in which a female figure holds a mallet in each hand. 

22237 bandeira portuguesa

 

O MITO DAS ORIGENS 

A história da fundação da povoação de Ferreira do Alentejo encontra a sua raiz na lenda de Singa. Uma próspera cidade romana do séc. IV rica em ferro que desenvolveu uma ampla actividade de ferreiros.

Aquando uma tentativa de ataque pelos bárbaros, cerca de 405 a.C, foi a bravura da mulher de um ferreiro que defendendo a cidade contra as hordas dos godos e dos suevos grava o feito em lenda.Toma desta forma a vila o nome de Ferreira exibindo o feito no seu estandarte. 

bandeira-holanda

 

DE MYTHE VAN HET ONTSTAAN

Het ontstaan vandestadFerreiradoAlentejo vindt zijn oorsprong in de legende vanSinga. Een weelderige en bloeiendeRomeinse stad uit de 4eeeuw voor Christus, rijk aan ijzer en met een zeer ontwikkelde smederij.

Bij een aanval van de barbaren, ongeveer 405 voor Christus, was het de moedige vrouw van een smid (een Ferreira) die de stad verdedigde tegen de hordes van de Goten en Suevi. Zij verdedigde de kasteelpoort met  in elke hand een hamer.
Deze mythe, die tot op de dag van vandaag niet bewezen is, heeft Ferreira de Alentejo het wapenschild van een vrouwenfiguur met een hamer in elke hand gegeven.

 fal

bandeira inglesa

 

HISTORY

The excellent quality of the soil surrounding the county and town of Ferreira do Alentejo and the proximity of water enable the human settlement in this area for nearly 43 centuries. This occupation is abundantly confirmed by the archaeological remains of the Chalcolithic areas that stretch along the banks of the River Vale D'Ouro.

Archaeology has revealed to us and confirmed the presence of Romans, the Visigoths and the Islamic people.
The archaeological sites are very important because they are living proof of occupation. At Monte da Chaminé, Outeiro da Mina, Porto Torrão and near Ribeira de Vale D'Ouro was found and gathered a vast collection of artefacts that are part of the archaeological heritage of Ferreira do Alentejo. 

22237 bandeira portuguesa

 

HISTÓRIA

A ocupação humana da região de Ferreira do Alentejo remonta há 43 séculos, talvez devido à boa qualidade do solo e à sua proximidade com linhas de água. Esta ocupação poderá ser comprovada pelo imenso espólio arqueológico encontrado em diversas estações próximas da ribeira do Vale D’Ouro.

Vários foram os povos que passaram por esta zona, nomeadamente os Romanos, os Visigodos e o Povo Islâmico. Contudo, o povo mais marcante foi, sem dúvida, o Romano, que construiu pontes (por exemplo, a de Alfundão), santuários (por exemplo, Santa Margarida do sado) e as villae (quintas, como por exemplo, a do Monte da Chaminé).  

bandeira-holanda 

HISTORIE

Door de uitstekende kwaliteit van de bodem en de nabijheid van water in de provincie en de stad Ferreira de Alentejo is er al 43 eeuw mesnelijke bewoning.  Dit kan worden bewezen door de vele archeologische overblijfselen van de Chalcolithic gebieden die zich uitstrekken langs de oevers van de Vale D'Ouro.

Er waren verschillende volkeren in dit gebied, waaronder de Romeinen, de Visigoten en Islamieten. Met name de Romeinen hebben hun sporen achtergelaten, te zien aan bruggen (bv. bij Alfundão), heiligdommen (bv. Santa Margarida do Sado) en villa’s (boerderijen, zoals bv. Monte da Chaminé). 

  

 

bandeira inglesa

 

As for written sources, they are very scarce and even evidence as to the date of foundation of this town. Thus we only know through the documents of the royal chancery of D. Sancho II and D. Afonso III that the territory was conquered by the Moors in 1233 and was donated in the following year to the Order of Santiago.

Ferreira had the castle, situated to the small mound of the current Public Cemetery that has disappeared completely and despite already being ruined, still boasted some of the famous nine towers, moat and barbican.

Around 1839 the Board approved that the Parish could build on that ground, the Public Cemetery this hid the ancient fortress. Besides recalling the memory of this gorgeous fortress remains only the shield of the Order of Espatários that still tops the main entrance of the Public Cemetery of Ferreira do Alentejo.

In the year 1627 the County of Ferreira do Alentejo was created.

In 1821 Ferreira do Alentejo was the county electoral division and the district of Beja Ourique.

In 1842, Ferreira was one of the counties of the administrative district of Beja and comprised five districts, namely: Ferreira and Villas Boas, Figueira dos Cavaleiros, Alfundão, Peroguarda and Santa Margarida do Sado. In 1874 the parish of Odivelas joined the county of Ferreira do Alentejo.

With the advent of the Republic on October 5, 1910, Ferreira do Alentejo suffered some architectural changes that would eventually deplete patrimonial the current village. 

22237 bandeira portuguesa

 

Quanto a fontes escritas propriamente ditas estas são muito escassas e até omissas quanto á data de fundação deste povoado. Deste modo apenas sabemos através dos documentos da chancelaria régia de D. Sancho II e de D. Afonso III que o território foi conquistado aos mouros em 1233 e foi doado, no ano seguinte, à Ordem de Santiago.

 Ferreira teve castelo, situado ao pequeno cômoro do actual Cemitério Público. Esta fortaleza desapareceu totalmente e, segundo informação de um particular, Francisco António Mattos, por volta de 1800, apesar de já estar arruinada, ainda ostentava algumas das famosas nove torres, o fosso e a barbacã. Por volta de 1839 deliberou a Junta de Paróquia de então, construir nesse terreno o Cemitério Público cujas obras para sempre esconderam a antiga fortaleza. 

No ano de 1627 foi criada a Comarca de Ferreira do Alentejo, em consequência da reforma da Ordem de Santiago e da aprovação régia Filipina dos novos Estatutos.
Em 1762 Ferreira pertencia á Ouvidoria de Beja, e no ano de 1811, estava judicialmente anexada á Vila de Torrão. Nesta altura pertencia á Comarca e Provedoria de Ourique , Diocese de Beja e donatária da coroa.
Em 1821 Ferreira era concelho da divisão eleitoral de Beja e da comarca de Ourique.
Em 1842, Ferreira era um dos concelhos do distrito administrativo de Beja e compreendia cinco freguesias, a saber: Ferreira e Villas Boas, Figueira dos Cavaleiros, Alfundão, Peroguarda e Santa Margarida do Sadão. Só por volta de 1874 é que a freguesia de Odivelas, também ela pertence do concelho, ficou sob a tutela de Ferreira do Alentejo.
Com o advento da República a 5 de Outubro de 1910, Ferreira do Alentejo sofreu algumas alterações arquitectónicas que acabariam por empobrecer patrimonialmente a actual vila. 

bandeira-holanda

 

De geschreven bronnen zelf zijn zeer schaars en onduidelijk over de datum van de oprichting van deze stad. Zo weten we alleen door de stukken van de koninklijke kanselarij van D. Sancho II en D. Afonso III dat het grondgebied werd veroverd door de Moren in 1233 en werd geschonken in het volgende jaar aan de Orde van Santiago. 

Ferreira had een kasteel, gelegen aan de kleine heuvel van de huidige openbare begraafplaats. Dit fort is totaal verdwenen en, volgens informatie van een particulier, António Francisco Mattos, omstreeks 1800, waren er nog enkele van de beroemde negen torens en een slotgracht. Rond 1839 keurde het bestuur goed dat de Parochie een Openbare Begraafplaats zou kunnen bouwen op die grond. De enige herinnering aan dit prachtige fort is alleen het schild van de Orde van Espatários, bovenaan de hoofdingang van de begraafplaats. 

In het jaar 1627 werd het District Ferreira do Alentejo opgericht, als gevolg van de hervorming van de Orde van Santiago en met Koninklijke goedkeuring.
In 1762 ging Ferreira deel uitmaken van het Graafschap Beja, en in 1811 is het gerechtelijk toegevoegd aan de stad Torrão. Vanaf toen behoorde Ferreira tot het arrondissement Ourique, Bisdom Beja en heerschap van de kroon.
In 1821 werd Ferreira een gemeente, vallend onder het kiesdistrict van Beja en het arrondissement Ourique.
In 1842, Ferreira was een van de gemeenten van het district Beja en bestond uit vijf deelgemeentes: Ferreira, Villas Boas, Figueira dos Cavaleiros, Alfundão, Peroguarda en Santa Margarida do Sadão. Pas rond 1874 is de gemeente Odivelas deelgemeente geworden van Ferreira do Alentejo.
Met het ontstaan van de Republiek op 5 oktober 1910 kreeg Ferreira do Alentejo te maken met enkele architectonische veranderingen die uiteindelijk zouden lijden tot verarming van het cultureel erfgoed van het huidige stadje.

Source/Fonte: Câmara Municipal de Ferreira do Alentejo

 

 

Home  |  Quem Somos  | Parceiros  |  Contatos


 

turismodeportugal  facebook logo 
Saturday the 5th.

Copyright © Find Ferreira do Alentejo with Us                                                                                                                                          Login

 

All rights reserved.